Trusts and Estates Blog

What responsibilities will I have as a trustee?

The most important thing to remember when you step in as trustee is that these are not your assets. You are safeguarding them for others: for the grantor (if living) and for the beneficiaries, who will receive them after the grantor dies.

As a trustee, you have certain responsibilities. For example:

• You must follow the instructions in the trust document.

• You cannot mix trust assets with your own. You must keep separate checking accounts and investments.

• You cannot use trust assets for your own benefit (unless the trust authorizes it).

• You must treat trust beneficiaries the same; you cannot favor one over another (unless the trust says you can).

• Trust assets must be invested in a prudent (conservative) manner, in a way that will result in reasonable growth with minimum risk.

• You are responsible for keeping accurate records, filing tax returns and reporting to the beneficiaries as the trust requires.

Thompson Von Tungeln Advises California Business Owners To Check Their Business Succession Plan For Blind Spots

Antelope Valley estate planning law firm Thompson Von Tungeln advises California business owners to review their business succession plans and estate plans to ensure that the plans provide for a smooth transition.

Lancaster, California (PRWEB) January 19, 2010 — Antelope Valley estate planning law firm Thompson Von Tungeln is advising California business owners to review their succession plans to ensure that their estate plan and their business succession plan work well together to ensure a smooth transition.

“Handing down a family business isn’t just a matter of changing titles,” said Kevin Von Tungeln, partner at Thompson Von Tungeln. “An effective succession plan needs to be integrated into an estate plan. That is where a certified estate planning specialist, working in conjunction with your accountant, financial advisor and business attorney, can ensure that your estate plan not only provides for your family after your death, but protects the assets of your business from wealth transfer taxes.”

An estate planning attorney can create an estate plan that minimizes the taxes that, if not properly planned for, can force your heirs to sell some or all of your business to pay the wealth transfer taxes.

“California estate plans can contain sophisticated measures for this such as estate freezes and discounts, or they can use more simple techniques such as life insurance outside of the estate to pay estate and wealth transfer taxes,” said Von Tungeln. “One question to ask is whether their business has outgrown its advisors. The advisor who served them well at $1 million in revenue may not be capable of handling their affairs properly at $50 million. Often the business owner sees the accountant, business attorney, estate planning attorney, business coach and other advisors as separate functions, which may lead to them inadvertently working against each other, instead of working in tandem.”

Business owners should sit down with their estate planning attorney and review their business succession plan and estate plan together. Allow him or her suggest ways to marry the two plans to accomplish their goal of succession without a major tax bite. Their estate planning attorney can create an estate plan that minimizes the taxes that, if not properly planned for, can force their heirs to sell some or all of their business to pay the wealth transfer taxes.

About Kevin Von Tungeln
With more than 18 years’ legal experience, Kevin L. Von Tungeln serves Thompson Von Tungeln in the areas of estate planning, probate, trusts, wills, trust administration, conservatorships, guardianships and elder law. He is certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialists as a Board Certified Specialist in Estate Planning. Get to know more about Kevin’s approach to estate planning by viewing his informational videos at: Kevin can also be found at LinkedIn by going to: (

About Thompson Von Tungeln
Antelope Valley estate planning law firm Thompson Von Tungeln (TVT) offers sophisticated estate planning and administration for the affluent, discriminating client. As Board Certified Specialists in Estate Planning, Trusts and Probate as certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, partners Mark E. Thompson and Kevin L. Von Tungeln are expertly equipped to serve these clients with the creative, effective and custom solutions they demand. For more information, contact TVT at 661-945-5868 or visit their website at

Summary of Living Trust Benefits

* Avoids probate at death, including multiple probates if you own property in other states
* Prevents court control of assets at incapacity
* Brings all your assets together under one plan
* Provides maximum privacy
* Quicker distribution of assets to beneficiaries
* Assets can remain in trust until you want beneficiaries to inherit
* Can reduce or eliminate estate taxes
* Inexpensive, easy to set up and maintain
* Can be changed or cancelled at any time
* Difficult to contest
* Prevents court control of minors’ inheritances
* Can protect dependents with special needs
* Prevents unintentional disinheriting and other problems of joint ownership
* Professional management with corporate trustee
* Peace of mind

©1989-2010 by Schumacher Publishing, Inc.

Should You Convert to a Roth IRA in 2010?

Previously, if your adjusted gross income was $100,000 or more, you did not qualify to convert your tax-deferred savings to a Roth IRA. But beginning this year, in 2010, the income restriction has been eliminated, so everyone is now eligible to convert to a Roth IRA.

You can roll over amounts from your traditional IRA and from eligible retirement plans, which include qualified pension, profit sharing or stock bonus plans such as 401(k)s; annuity plans, tax-sheltered annuity plans; and deferred compensation plans of a state or local government. You do not have to roll these into a traditional IRA first.

Of course, you will have to pay income taxes on the amount you convert. But if you do the conversion this year, in 2010, you will be able to claim half of the conversion amount as income in 2011 and half in 2012. This offer from Uncle Sam is a “limited time offer” and is only available in 2010. After 2010, you can still do a conversion but it will all be included in that year’s income.


* Unlike a traditional IRA that requires you to start taking your money out at age 70 ½, with a Roth IRA there are no required minimum distributions during your lifetime.
* Unlike a traditional IRA, you can continue to make contributions to a Roth IRA after you have reached age 70 ½. (See restrictions below.)
* As a general rule, after five years or age 59 ½, whichever is later, all distributions to you and your beneficiaries will be income tax-free. So your money doesn’t grow tax-deferred…it grows tax-free.
* Withdrawals before age 59 ½ are considered contributions first, then earnings. So there is no income tax or penalty until all contributions have been withdrawn from the account.
* Money can be withdrawn at any time without penalty for college expenses, and up to $10,000 can be withdrawn tax-free at any time to buy or rebuild a home.
* You can stretch out a Roth IRA just like a traditional IRA. After you die, distributions will be paid over the actual life expectance of your beneficiary. Also, your spouse can do a rollover and name a new, younger beneficiary with a longer life expectancy and get the maximum stretch out.


This is an excellent opportunity, but make sure you evaluate your situation and run the numbers before you make a decision. Consider how much you would pay in income taxes. Are you currently in a low tax bracket? Will your retirement tax bracket be the same or higher than it is now? Can you pay the tax without dipping into your tax-deferred savings? Did you make any non-deductible contributions that won’t be taxed when you convert? Do you want to eliminate your required annual distribution? Should you convert some or all of your tax-deferred savings?


There are still restrictions on who can contribute to a Roth IRA.

Maximum Contribution Limits: If you are under age 50 and meet the income limits below, you can contribute up to $5,000 per year. If you are age 50 and older, the maximum you can contribute is $6,000 per year.

Income Limits in 2010: If you are a single or head of household taxpayer with up to $105,000 adjusted gross income, you can contribute the maximum amount. (Smaller contributions are allowed if your AGI is $105,000 to $120,000). If you are married, filing jointly or a qualifying widow(er) with up to $167,000 AGI, you can contribute the maximum amount. (Smaller contributions are allowed if your AGI is $167,000 to $177,000.)


This is an appropriate time to get advice from a qualified professional who has experience in this area. There may be a substantial amount of money involved, and while you certainly want to take advantage of this opportunity if it applies to you, you also want to make sure you act wisely.

© 2010 by Schumacher Publishing, Inc.

Lancaster – Palmdale – Santa Clarita – Estate Tax Planning

Although California has no estate tax, the federal estate tax bite can be substantial enough to justify careful planning for estate tax liabilities. The larger your estate, the more carefully you must plan and choose from many options, depending on your specific circumstances and objectives.

For experienced and insightful advice and custom estate plans that will help you meet your wealth preservation and asset transfer goals while minimizing or avoiding estate tax liability, contact the Antelope Valley estate tax planning attorneys at Thompson Von Tungeln, A P.C. , in Lancaster. Our estate plan solutions may involve any of the following approaches to cut your future tax liability down to size:

* Use of revocable living trusts and irrevocable life insurance trusts to transfer assets out of your estate while maintaining control and beneficial use
* Qualified personal residence trusts , especially where your primary residence represents a significant asset within a larger net worth profile
* A/B bypass trusts, dynasty trusts, and generation skipping trusts to avoid and manage the complications presented by California community property law
* Charitable remainder trusts , charitable lead trusts, or gifts
* Community property agreements, prenuptial agreements, and postnuptial agreements

There are essentially two main approaches to managing estate tax liability: transferring assets out of your estate through trusts or gifts, and maximizing the value of your federal estate tax exemptions. Some of the instruments described above emphasize only one approach, while several cover both. What’s right for you will depend upon your broader estate planning goals, the characteristics of your family, and the nature and value of the particular assets you hold.

An important feature of sound estate tax planning is integrating tax management strategies into a broader estate plan without overwhelming or distorting it. Unintended and unfortunate consequences–such as the disinheritance of one’s own children –can result from too close a focus on tax planning without sufficient attention to your other wealth transfer objectives.

Understanding Living Trusts: Doesn’t joint ownership avoid probate?

Not really. Using joint ownership usually just postpones probate. With most jointly owned assets, when one owner dies, full ownership does transfer to the surviving owner without probate. But if that owner dies without adding a new joint owner, or if both owners die at the same time, the asset must be probated before it can go to the heirs.

Watch out for other problems. When you add a co-owner, you lose control. Your chances of being named in a lawsuit and of losing the asset to a creditor are increased. There could be gift and/or income tax problems. And since a will does not control most jointly owned assets, you could disinherit your family.

With some assets, especially real estate, all owners must sign to sell or refinance. So if a co-owner becomes incapacitated, you could find yourself with a new “co-owner” — the court–even if the incapacitated owner is your spouse.

Antelope Valley Estate Planning Law Firm Thompson Von Tungeln Advises California Residents to Review Their Power of Attorney Options

Antelope Valley estate planning law firm Thompson Von Tungeln advises California residents to review the different power of attorney options available to them. The power of attorney options include the General Power of Attorney, the Durable Power of Attorney, the Non-Durable Power of Attorney, and an Advanced Health Care Directive. Each has its uses, and a combination of them is essential to good estate planning.

Lancaster, California (PRWEB) January 5, 2010 — Antelope Valley estate planning law firm Thompson Von Tungeln recommends that California residents review the different power of attorney options available to them as part of their estate planning process.

“There are a number of different types of power of attorney vehicles available for use in estate plans,” said Kevin Von Tungeln, partner at Thompson Von Tungeln. “Each type has its uses, and can provide protection in the event of incapacitation. You should consult with your estate planning attorney to determine, which, if any, are necessary for your estate plan.”

A General Power of Attorney designates a person to handle the business, financial and legal affairs of another person, either for a specific function or for overall day-to-day needs. This basic estate planning document is necessary in the event you become incapacitated or unable to make decisions for yourself. A Durable Power of Attorney comes in two forms for estate planning purposes. It can be effective immediately or upon disability. Estate planning attorneys utilize the Durable Power of Attorney to designate someone to make financial, housing and other care decisions for someone who can no longer make them for his or her self.

An Advanced Healthcare Directive is an estate planning document that allows you to designate someone to make medical decisions on your behalf. Your estate planning attorney can help you include your wishes on life-saving measures, end-of-life care, organ donation and choice of a physician into your directive. Another, less commonly used vehicle is the Non-Durable Power of Attorney.

“The time to review these with your estate planning attorney is when you are healthy and in the process of creating your estate plan,” said Von Tungeln. “Directives that are signed when a person is seriously ill are prone to being challenged in court if one of your loved ones believes you were not of sound mind and body when you signed the Power of Attorney form. Your estate planning attorney can review your options on which of these Power of Attorney forms to include in your estate plan.”

Why use a life insurance trust?

With a trust, the insurance proceeds will not be included in your estate, so you avoid estate taxes. You can keep the proceeds in the trust for years, making periodic distributions to your children and grandchildren. And any proceeds that remain in the trust are protected from irresponsible spending and creditors (even spouses).

Life insurance can be an inexpensive way to replace the asset for your children (every dollar you spend in premium buys several dollars of insurance). Insurance proceeds are available immediately, even if you and your spouse both die tomorrow. And, in addition to avoiding estate taxes, the proceeds will be free from probate and income taxes.

How Should You Hold Title to Real Estate?

family in front of homeYour home is probably the most valuable asset you own. Yet most people don’t think about how to hold title until the title company poses the question when you buy or refinance. But this deserves careful consideration, because how you hold title to real estate has far-reaching effects. Let’s look at some common ways to hold title.

Individual Name: You can hold title in just your name even if you are married. However, there are some drawbacks you should know about.

First, what would happen if you become mentally or physically incapacitated due to illness or injury and the property needs to be refinanced, or a line of credit needs to be opened or increased? If you are unable to conduct business, the court will need to appoint someone to act for you.

“But, I have a will,” you say. A will can’t help; it only goes into effect after you die, not if you are incapacitated.

“But, I have a power of attorney,” you say. Most powers of attorney end at incapacity. A durable power of attorney is valid at incapacity. However, many financial institutions will not accept one unless it is on their form. And if accepted, it may work too well, giving the person the ability to do whatever he or she wants with your assets. You could recover to find the property mismanaged or even sold and the proceeds gone.

The court’s job is to provide supervision to protect your assets. But once the court gets involved, it will stay involved until you recover or die. The court, not your family or friends, will control how your assets are used to care for you. It is a public process that can be expensive, embarrassing, time consuming and difficult to end if you recover.

Next, what happens when you die? If yours is the only name on the title, the property will almost certainly have to go through the probate court system before it can be distributed to your heirs, even if you have a will. Think about it: if your name is the only one on the title, and you have died, you can’t sign your name to transfer title. While there can be exceptions, in most cases the only way to remove your name and put the new owner’s name on is through the probate court.

Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship: This is how most married couples hold title, because it seems fair, it’s easy and it’s free. Parents and their adult children also often hold title this way, as do unmarried couples.

Indeed, when one owner dies, full ownership does transfer automatically to the surviving owner without probate. But usually this just postpones probate. If the surviving owner dies without adding another owner (which often happens), or if both owners die at the same time, the property will almost certainly have to go through probate before it can go to the heirs.

There are other problems, too. When you add a co-owner, you lose control. With real estate, all owners must sign to sell or refinance. If your co-owner disagrees with you, you could end up in court. If your co-owner is incapacitated, the court will probably get involved to protect your co-owner’s interest…even if the ill owner is your spouse.

You expose the property to your co-owner’s debts and obligations; you could even lose your home to your co-owner’s creditors if he or she is successfully sued. There could also be gift and/or income tax problems if your co-owner is not your spouse.

Finally, because a will does not control jointly owned assets, you could disinherit your family when your co-owner inherits your share. Sadly, and all too often, children from a previous marriage are disinherited when a new spouse is the surviving owner.

Tenants-In-Common: With this kind of ownership, each owner’s share will be distributed as directed in his or her will. If there is no will, the property will go to the owner’s heirs.

Community Property: Nine states (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin) have a form of joint ownership between spouses commonly called community property. When you die, your share of community property automatically goes to your surviving spouse, unless your will says otherwise.

The problem with both tenants-in-common and community property is that you could find yourself with several new co-owners when your co-owner dies and the heirs inherit the property. Imagine how difficult it could be to get several owners to reach an agreement, especially if you are trying to sell the property.

You can also run into the other problems (incapacity, lawsuits, etc.) as explained under joint tenants with right of survivorship, but with several owners involved, your risks and problems are multiplied.

Tenants-by-the-Entirety: This form of joint ownership, available between spouses in some states, is similar to joint tenants with right of survivorship in that when one spouse dies, his/her share automatically goes to the surviving spouse, even if the will says otherwise. So you have many of the same risks, including unintentional disinheriting and court interference if one spouse becomes incapacitated.

However, as tenants-by-the-entirety, neither spouse can transfer his/her half to someone else without the other’s approval – something joint tenants with right of survivorship and tenants-in-common can both do.

Revocable Living Trust: When you have a living trust, the title of your real estate can be held in the name of the trustee of your trust. Usually you will be your own trustee, so you keep full control of the property. You can buy, sell and refinance real estate just as you can when the property is not in your trust.

If you become incapacitated, the successor trustee you named when you set up your trust will be able to step in and act for you. Because the title is no longer in your individual name (or joint names if married), there will be no need for court interference. (If you are married, you and your spouse can be co-trustees, in which case your successor trustee would step in only after you have both become incapacitated or have died.)

Your successor is legally obligated to follow the instructions you put in your trust. If you recover, your successor simply steps aside and lets you resume control. When you die, the property will be distributed without probate according to the instructions in your trust, so you don’t have to worry about unintentionally disinheriting someone.

SUMMARY: How you hold title to real estate should be given careful consideration. Check your titles and make any changes now while you can.

If you would like more information concerning holding titile to real estate, or any other aspect of estate planning, visit today. is a comprehensive online resource for estate planning and related issues. As Board Certified Specialists in Estate Planning, Trusts and Probate as certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, Mark E. Thompson and Kevin L. Von Tungeln are expertly equipped to serve clients with the creative, effective and custom solutions they demand.

I’m not dead yet! Why do I need Estate Planning? Part 2

You may be under the assumption that a durable power of attorney will prevent the court’s involvement at incapacity- A durable power of attorney lets you name someone to manage your financial affairs if you are unable to do so. However, many financial institutions will not honor one unless it is on their form – even though such a requirement is against the law. And, if accepted, it may work too well — giving someone a “blank check” to do whatever he/she wants with your assets. Court action could be needed to stop someone from abusing their authority. A power of attorney can be very effective when used with a living trust, but risky when used alone. Under either scenario, your agent could end up going to court to get the necessary authority to handle your affairs.

More information on “Power of Attorney”- A power of attorney is a document that allows you to appoint a person or organization to handle your affairs while you’re unavailable or unable to do so. The person or organization you appoint is referred to as an “Attorney-in-Fact” or “Agent.” A “Durable” Power of Attorney – makes it so that the general, special and health care powers of attorney can all be made “durable” by adding certain text to the document. This means that the document will remain in effect or take effect if you become mentally incompetent.

Another important part of your estate planning should include an “advance health care directive”- which lets your physician, family and friends know your health care preferences, including the types of special treatment you want or don’t want at the end of life, your desire for diagnostic testing, surgical procedures, cardiopulmonary resuscitation and organ donation. By considering your options early, you can ensure the quality of life that is important to you and avoid having your family “guess” your wishes or having to make critical medical care decisions for you under stress or in emotional turmoil.

In considering this it is important to understand the HIPAA Privacy Rules-
HIPAA provides federal protections for personal health information held by medical entities and gives patients an array of powerful privacy rights with respect to that information. HIPAA’s privacy protections are so powerful that they interfere with estate planning. As a result, you need to give your loved ones a written HIPAA authorization that gives them access to your medical records.

« Previous PageNext Page »

Trusts and Estates Blog